Wednesday 4 August 2010

Childhood favourites!!

No these aren't pasties!!!! They're CHILEAN EMPANADAS!!!! One of my favourite traditional dishes that we used to eat a lot of growing up, mainly at Chilean festivals usually held at 'La Cancha' (The football ground) I made these for dinner Sunday night......my very first time!!

Each country in South America has its own version of the empanada, a lot of versions are fried but the chilean empanada has a pie like crust and are baked (traditionally in a large stone oven) The Pino (filling) consists of mince fried with onions, cumin, oregano, garlic, paprika, raisins and a black olive  and a slice of hard boiled egg. May sound strange to you non-latinos but they are YUMMY.
I was pretty pleased with my first attempt, they definitely look the part, just needed a little more filling. Still, I think my mum would've been impressed :)

1 comment: